Saturday, February 28, 2009

Quick and Easy Chili

Intimidated by making chili? Don't be. One of the first things I made when I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease was chili. I had bought one of those chili packet mixes and discovered that it in fact had gluten in it. However I read the recipe on the back of it and thought, this packet mix really does nothing! So I just made the basic recipe from the back of the packet. It came out decent, and that became my staple for the first few months and I slowly was able to adjust it until I could make it within a half hour for pretty cheap as well.

1 lb ground meat
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can pinto beans
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 habenero or Serrano pepper, diced
TT Chili Powder
TT Garlic Powder

Brown the meat and chop it up into little pieces while browning. Once cooked or at least mostly cooked add all the other ingredients including the juices. Bring up to a boil and then let simmer for at least 15 minutes. And enjoy!

See? Super easy. And the longer you let it simmer the better it gets. If I make it for lunch I just leave it on the stove on the lowest heat and eat some more at dinner time or put it in a bowl with some shredded cheese and eat it with tortilla chips. Just store the rest in the fridge and when you reheat it, it makes even better chili dip as well as soup. A really good chili dip idea is putting cream cheese on the bottom of an oven safe pan or dish add the chili and top with cheddar cheese. And throw it into the oven to heat it up and make the cheese bubble.

No comments:

Post a Comment